Following his appointment as the clubs Third Team Captain, we have caught up with Phippsy to discussion all things 2021, whether it will be “my ball, my rules” and found out what he is looking forward to most as we prepare for the season to get underway in just a matter of weeks…
- Phippsy, after being a Sunday specialist last season, you’re now 3rd team Skipper. How did the new role come about?
I was kindly asked by Brownie if I’d consider the role for the 2021 season and decided to throw my hat into the ring. He was clearly in awe at my impressive zero wins as captain during the 2020 season.
- What are you looking forward to this year?
My first win as captain obviously. On a serious note a winter living with Covid restrictions hasn’t been much fun, so I imagine like a lot of other players I’m really looking forward to getting back out on the field, enjoying the sunshine, enjoying the competition and enjoying a few beers after each game.
- You’ve been playing for the club for a while now, how important do you think it is for our younger members to feature in our Mens teams?
I think it’s crucial in the development of any young player. I had the privilege of captaining the Sunday team on few occasions last year and was seriously impressed with some of the young talent coming through. I’m in no doubt that the youngsters will impress again this year.
- What do you think the biggest challenge will be this year for you and the 3s?
I’m sure that challenges will present themselves over the course of the season and I have every confidence that the team will rise to meet them. A personal challenge for me is ensuring that everybody that turns out for the 3s can get involved and enjoys the game. I’d love to win every game, but equally I’d love it if every player leaves the field feeling that they had a good game of cricket.
- How do you see yourself as Captain, will it be a case of “my ball, my rules”?
Most definitely. I’m quite looking forward to opening the bowling, opening the batting and standing at first slip all season.
You must be logged in to post a comment.